Recently, there have been multiple incidents in condo and apartment buildings where cigarette butts were thrown from balconies and landed in dry planters … which in turn caught fire (providing us a great opportunity to remind smokers that it is very important that they make sure cigarette debris is always disposed of in a fire proof container and properly extinguished).
… Be prepared so you know what to do before a fire starts!
To prepare yourself so that you know what to do in the event there is a fire in your condo unit you can:
- Be familiar with all exits from your floor (Plan more than 1 way out — just in case one of the exits is blocked by fire or smoke).
- In the event you are unable to leave your home, make sure everyone knows to call 9-1-1 for further instruction and assistance.
- Learn about the fire safety features in your unit and in the building (i.e.) fire alarms, fire sprinklers, location of extinguishers, etc.
- If you find a fire exit blocked by clutter or a door requires repair, contact your property manager immediately.
- Purchase a multi-purpose fire extinguisher for your kitchen and keep it accessible.
- Test your smoke alarm monthly by pressing the test button and clean it every 6 months. Mark it on your calendar so that you don’t forget and make it a habit of changing your batteries at least annually. Remember that your alarm won’t be able to protect you if it has no power or the batteries are burnt out.
House fires kill and injure thousands every year … and many more are impacted by the loss of valued memories and personal possessions in fire related incidents that could have easily been avoided. In a fire, every second counts … make sure your fire safety knowledge is up to date by visiting the Fire Prevention Canada website for more information.
Reminder: Your condominium bylaws (and your mortgage) outline your responsibility to carry adequate insurance. It is recommended that you review the Bylaws with your insurance agent to make sure that you have the right coverage in place.
Emerald Management & Realty Ltd., has partnered with Nuera Insurance to help provide a convenient way to purchase insurance in a matter of minutes! To receive a quote on-line, visit Nuera’s website and click on “Get a Quote”. For our valued clients, please contact your property manager to receive a discount code for your insurance policy placed with Nuera. If you have questions about your insurance responsibilities, please contact our property manager or review your bylaws for more information.