Essential Winter Maintenance Tips for Single Family Homes – Emerald Management & Realty Ltd.
With Alberta in the midst of a record winter deep-freeze, as your committed Alberta property management team, we are keenly aware of the discomfort and inconvenience weather can cause, especially during the colder months. The following are some essential tips to help you prevent cold weather related frustrations, with a particular focus on a common winter challenge: ice buildup on fresh air intakes.
Why is Ice Buildup a Problem?
- Furnace Maintenance Your home’s furnace and hot water tanks play a crucial role in your comfort. They require a consistent flow of fresh air to function efficiently. In the winter months, ice can form around air intakes, blocking this essential airflow. Such obstructions can significantly reduce heating efficiency and, in extreme cases, lead to complete system shutdowns.
- Winter Home Care — Regularly inspect the exterior air intakes for ice accumulation, particularly after snowfall or freezing rain and snow-fall events.
- Safe Home Heating — If ice buildup is observed, carefully remove it. It’s crucial to avoid using sharp objects that could damage the intake vents. And it may seem like common sense, but you also do not want to pour hot water into the air intakes. Safety first.
Keep Vents Clear
- Efficient Heating Systems Ensure that snow or other debris does not obstruct the vents. Clear pathways can significantly enhance the efficiency of your heating system.
Report Issues Promptly
- Responsive Property Management Services — If you encounter any problems with heating or hot water, please contact Emerald Management & Realty Ltd. immediately by calling 403-237-8600. Prompt reporting allows us to address and prevent larger issues efficiently. You can report a non-emergency maintenance request online by clicking here:
Bonus Tip: Regularly Change Your Furnace Filters
An often overlooked but crucial aspect of maintaining your heating system in top condition is the regular changing of furnace filters. Dirty or clogged filters can significantly hamper the efficiency of your furnace, leading to higher energy bills and reduced indoor air quality. For residents of single-family homes, we recommend checking your furnace filters at least once a month during the winter season and replacing them as needed. This simple yet effective step not only enhances the performance of your heating system but also contributes to a healthier living environment. Remember, a clean filter means a happier, warmer home!
Remember, taking these simple steps can greatly contribute to maintaining a warm and comfortable environment in your home during winter. At Emerald Management & Realty Ltd., we prioritize your comfort and safety. By following these guidelines, you can help ensure that your home remains a cozy haven throughout the colder months.
For any assistance or inquiries, don’t hesitate to reach out to our dedicated team. Stay warm, stay safe, and remember, we’re here to help!
« Return to Blog