Recycling plays a vital role in reducing our environmental impact and preserving the planet for future generations. As property managers for condominium corporations and residential rental buildings in Calgary, Alberta, it’s crucial to understand the do’s and don’ts of recycling to ensure our efforts have a meaningful impact. In this blog post, we’ll provide you with a comprehensive guide to recycling in Calgary, including essential do’s and don’ts, useful resources, and tips to optimize your recycling practices.
Do’s of Recycling:
- Sort and Separate: Ensure that you separate recyclables from regular waste. Familiarize yourself with the accepted recyclable materials, such as paper, cardboard, plastic containers, metal cans, and glass bottles. Clean and rinse these items before recycling them to avoid contamination.
- Use the Blue Cart Program: Participate in the City of Calgary’s Blue Cart Program. In multi-family buildings, you have a collection bin specifically for your recyclables. Place your recyclables in the blue cart or collection bin provided. Make sure to follow the collection schedule and place your cart at the designated pickup location as required based on your location and contract in place.
- Educate Yourself: Stay updated on Calgary’s recycling guidelines and any changes made to the program. Regularly visit the City of Calgary’s official website and check out their Recycling Facts web page for important updates, tips, and resources related to recycling.
Don’ts of Recycling:
- Plastic Bags in Blue Carts: Avoid placing plastic bags in the blue carts. Stretchable plastic bags, like grocery bags, are recyclable, but crinkly or tearable bags, such as chip bags or cellophane, are not. Take non-recyclable plastic bags to designated drop-off locations, such as grocery stores, for proper recycling.
- No Contaminated Items: Do not include contaminated or soiled items in the recycling bins. Food residue, greasy pizza boxes, and dirty containers can contaminate the entire load, making it challenging to recycle properly. Dispose of such items in regular waste bins.
- City of Calgary Recycling Program: Visit the official website of the City of Calgary’s Recycling Program for detailed information on accepted recyclables, collection schedules, and guidelines specific to Calgary’s multi-family buildings.
- Waste Wizard: Take advantage of the Waste Wizard tool available on the City of Calgary’s website This useful resource allows you to search for specific items and find out how to dispose of them properly, ensuring informed recycling decisions.
- Recycling Depots and Drop-Off Locations: Explore nearby recycling depots and drop-off location where you can recycle items not accepted in the blue carts, such as electronics, batteries, or plastic bags. Encourage residents to utilize these facilities for responsible recycling.
By following the do’s and don’ts of recycling in Calgary, property managers and residents can play a crucial role in creating a cleaner and more sustainable community. Stay informed about updates to the recycling program through the City of Calgary’s resources, and utilize the Waste Wizard tool for proper disposal of specific items. At Emerald Management & Realty Ltd., we’re committed to environmental stewardship and helping property managers navigate recycling practices effectively. Contact us today to learn more about our comprehensive property management solutions and how we can assist you in creating a greener future for all.